NORMAL, Ill. - Former Illinois State baseball players Ty Wiesemeyer, Matt Mirabal and Kenny Long made their professional debuts over the last week. Wiesemeyer and Mirabal signed with the Normal CornBelters of the Independent Frontier League June 13, while Long was a 22nd round selection of the Houston Astros in the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. He is currently assigned to the Tri-City ValleyCats of the New York-Penn League.
Jeremy Accardo (Cleveland Indians) continues to shine in Major League Baseball following his promotion May 14. The former ISU pitcher has appeared in 13 games, tossing 17.2 innings with 20 strike outs and a 3.08 ERA. Opponents are hitting .254 against the right-hander, who has helped guide the Indians to a first-place standing in the American League Central Division.
Current Redbird Cam Verbeke will make his 2012 summer league debut Friday, when he pitches for the Lexington Snipes of the Chicago Suburban Baseball League. Verbeke will be joined by fellow Redbirds teammates J.D. Learnard, Chris Razo and Dan Savas.
Illinois State Baseball Players in Collegiate Summer Leagues - Stats Updated as of Wednesday, June 20
(Batters splits are Average/On-base Percentage/Slugging Percentage)
.354/.393/.532, 2 HR, 12 RBI, 8 2B, 8 R, 2-2 SB
0-0, 6.00 ERA, 1 app. (start), 3 IP, 2 K, 6 BB
- Went 3-5 with his team-leading eighth double Tuesday, June 19, at Wisconsin.
- Made his first pitching appearance of the season Sunday, June 3, throwing three innings of one-run ball
.182/.250/.409, 1 HR, 6 RBI, 2 2B, 5 R
- Clubbed a home run and a double, along with two RBI, two runs scored and a walk Friday, June 15, Versus DuPage County.
- Hit a RBI-single Monday, June 18, in an 18-0 rout at Southland.
.319/.346/.444, 1 HR, 12 RBI, 4 2B, 1 3B, 15 R, 7-7 SB
- Went 2-3 with a triple, three RBI, two runs scored and one stolen base Wednesday, June 13, versus St. Cloud.
- Knocked four hits and scored two runs Monday, June 11, against St. Cloud.
1-0, 4.50 ERA, 3 app. (all relief), 6.0 IP, 4 K, 1 BB
- Worked a perfect inning in relief Sunday, June 17, at Mystic.
- Earned a victory in relief after throwing two scoreless innings with one strike out Friday, June 15, at Holyoke.
.200/.294/.400 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R, 1-1 SB
- Clubbed his first home run of the summer, Wednesday, June 6, at Southland.
- Went 2-4 with one walk, one stolen base and one run scored at Illinois Tuesday, June 5.
.256/.362/.385, 9 RBI, 1 2B, 2 3B, 7 R
- Reached base four times, including three walks, with one RBI and one run scored Tuesday, June 19, at Cooperstown.
- Had two hits, scored two runs and recorded one RBI, Sunday, June 17, at Albany.
0-0, 4.50 ERA, 5 app. (all relief), 1 SV, 6.0 IP, 11 K, 2 BB
- Worked a scoreless inning in relief, fanning two and walking one, Tuesday, June 19, at Cooperstown.
- Recorded his first save, tossing a scoreless ninth inning with one strike out, at Elmira Sunday, June 10.
1-1, 1.00 ERA, 3 app. (all relief), 9.0 IP, 8 K, 5 BB
- Was handed a tough loss in relief, allowing just one unearned run over 3.2 innings Wednesday, June 13, versus Amsterdam.
- Pitched two scoreless innings, with three strike outs and one walk, Monday, June 18, against Glens Falls.
2-1, 1.93 ERA, 3 app. (all starts), 18.2 IP, 26 K, 9 BB, 2 CG
- In his shortest outing this summer, Razo lasted 4.2 innings, allowing four earned runs, while fanning two, June 16, at Lombard.
- Tossed complete-game shutouts in each of his first two starts, striking out 24 over 14 innings.
1-0, 6.59 ERA, 4 app. (3 starts), 13.2 IP, 1 SV, 14 K, 12 BB
- Earned a victory as a starter, completing four innings with three earned runs and three strike outs, June 16, versus Addison.
- Notched his first save, working a perfect seventh inning Wednesday, June 6, against DuPage. .
0-0, 2.08 ERA, 4 app. (all relief), 4.1 IP, 1 SV, 6 K, 4 BB
- Registered his first save of the summer, pitching a scoreless ninth inning with one strike out, Tuesday, June 19, versus Iowa.
- Struck out two over one scoreless inning Sunday, June 17, against Oklahoma City..
Has not pitched (60-day disabled list)
- Last year went 4-4, 4.94 ERA, 19 app. (11 starts), 82 IP, 82K, 15 BB for the Quad Cities River Bandits, the Midwest League A-affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Named a 2010 MiLB.com St. Louis Cardinals Organizational All-Star.
.226/.278/.301, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 5 2B, 1 3B, 2-2 SB
- Went 2-4 with two runs scored Friday, June 15, versus West Michigan.
- Entered the Midwest League All-Star break on a four-game hitting streak, batting .316/.316/.421 during that stretch.
.229/.317/.429, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 1 2B, 3 R
- Reached base three times, with one home run and two RBI, Saturday, June 15, at Delmarva..
- Spent time earlier this year with the Birmingham Barons, the Double-A Southern League affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
0-0, 18.00 ERA, 1 app. (relief), 1 IP, 1 K, 3 BB - Made his professional debut Tuesday, June 19, at Vermont.
- Selected in the 22nd round of the 2012 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft Wednesday, June 6.
.333/.391/.429, 1 RBI, 2 2B, 5 R, 2-4 SB - Went 2-3 with two doubles and two runs scored in his first professional game, June 13, against Evansville.
- Inked a professional contract with Normal, Wednesday, June 13.
Throughout the summer, GoRedbirds.com will update the status of current and former ISU baseball players every Wednesday, with daily updates occurring on the official Illinois State Baseball Twitter account, @REDBIRDBaseball.
GoRedbirds.com: Your online source for Illinois State Athletics, tickets, Weisbecker Scholarship Fund gifts, multimedia, Redbird merchandise, photos and more.