At a Glance
Bloomington-Normal is located in the heart of Central Illinois, approximately 125 miles southwest of Chicago, 155 miles northeast of St. Louis and 64 miles northeast of Springfield, the State Capital. Bloomington-Normal is easily accessible from any city, with access from Interstates 39, 55 and 74, as well as daily Amtrak service and flights through the Central Illinois Regional Airport.
We are proud to be the home of Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan University who offer the finest in higher education; Mitsubishi Motors, the only Mitsubishi Motors plant in North America; the corporate headquarters of State Farm Insurance, COUNTRY Financial and Beer Nuts; and world-class healthcare institutions including Advocate BroMenn Medical Center and OSF St. Joseph.
Bloomington-Normal is a vibrant community, home to over 125,000 people who exemplify traditional Midwestern lifestyle and values. Like our visitors, the residents of Bloomington-Normal enjoy our multitude of museums, entertainment venues, trails and parks, fairs and festivals, restaurants and shopping centers.
The stability of our major employers, healthcare professionals, locally owned businesses, numerous media providers and our central location in the state make Bloomington-Normal an exceptional place to call home.
What Others Think
- In 2013, Venues Today, an international trade magazine, recently ranked the US Cellular Coliseum among the top venues in the Midwest.
- In 2012, the design of the Uptown Circle in Uptown Normal won a Transportation Planning Excellence Award from the Federal Transit Administration and Federal Highway Administration. The Uptown Circle was only one of nine projects to receive the award, given to projects that show more than an exceptional level of innovation and creativity.
- In 2012, Illinois State University's College of Business was listed ninth in The Princeton Review's 2013 ranking of best-administered MBA programs. Illinois State's ranking, and those of other business schools across the nation, are part of The Best 296 Business Schools: 2013 Edition, published by The Princeton Review. Illinois State is the only public university in Illinois to be listed in the top 10 in any of the categories.
- In 2012, Bloomington was ranked the 2nd best city for singles by Kiplinger. In their "Best Cities for Singles" rankings, Kipligner explained, "Bloomington singles hearken back to some charming heartland ideal: Well educated, well paid and exceptionally nice."
- In 2011, Forbes Magazine rated Bloomington-Normal No. 22 as a best small place for businesses.
- Golf Digest ranked the Bloomington-Normal area as the Fifth Best American City for Golf in their "Best in America" Metro Golf Rankings.
*Source: Bloomington-Normal Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.